Powered by Blogger.

September 13, 2007

HOT TOMATO PICKLE ...and my cookbook



juicy-red tomatoes



Summer bounty- farm fresh tomatoes , most of the dishes I cook are based around it and I love adding it in ample amounts, so why not make something which is there in my fridge all the time to add an extra zing to my food, a hot tomato pickle based on a Nepali recipe from my cookbook featured below , this pickle or chutney is unbelievably marvellous with fresh, hot rice, chapatis , paranthas ,I even love it on my toast, have it anytime you want to tickle your taste buds.This pickle keeps well for over a week ,stored in the fridge.

Ingredients-

  • Oil- 2 tbsp.
  • Garlic- 6 cloves
  • fresh ginger- 2' piece
  • Sliced tomatoes- 3 large
  • Green/dried red chillies(sliced)- 6-8 (adjust acc. to taste)
  • Ajwain seeds-1/4 tsp.(lovage seeds)
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • salt to taste

Method-

Put oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat and sprinkle with salt.Add garlic and ginger ,cooking until they are light golden brown. Add tomatoes,sliced chillies and ajwain. Cover and cook slowly until tomato becomes a thick sauce, turn off heat and add lemon juice,mix well.




Hot tomato pickle

Nags of -The Cook in Me is hosting an event-"show me you cookbooks"-(http://cookingandme.blogspot.com/2007/09/announcing-show-me-your-cook-books.html)-show , the book below is my entry , it holds a special place in my heart since it was gifted to me by my brother whom I havent seen in well over three years since he moved to Florida,US.

book by- Association of NEPALIS in the Americas


The first page of the book- in my brothers kiddish handwriting (10th Nov. 2000)

GANESHA- REMOVER OF ALL OBSTACLES (pic from the book)

Remembering -the loved one's of all of us ,who are far away ,yet always in our hearts, may Ganesha always be with them.

Print Friendly and PDF
Bookmark this post :
StumpleUpon Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google

3 comments :

Finla September 13, 2007 at 9:04 PM  

Hot tomato pickles sounds delicious. I think it would be excelent with just a chapathi.

FH September 13, 2007 at 9:59 PM  

Love the Tomato pickle and the book too.I have a Nepali cookbook too, will have to try some recipes sometimes!:))

zlamushka October 7, 2007 at 12:02 PM  

Hi Bindiya,

I must say I am very impressed by your writing style. There is so much love and positive vibes in all of them. I am very happy to have found your blog. As for the cookbook, I have never eaten a Nepali food. Would love to hear a bit about the cuisine. Do you mind cooking something from it for me some time ?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP   

} catch(err) {}