Powered by Blogger.

January 22, 2009

HOT GARLIC CHUTNEY (LASUN MASALA)

garlic chutney

There are times that I feel the craving for something that kickstarts my tastebuds, delivers a punch and leaves me satiated, in that order, this is needed I think every few days, when everyday meals become monotonous and the desire for something new and explosive crops up, I have been having these kind of feelings for a while now.....

Till I decided to take the bull by the horns and made this bomb of a chutney/masala, if you may, I was indecisive as to what I should call it since it lacks the sauce like consistency of a chutney, and is not really a masala so I decided to call it both.

I think it all started with my love for garlic, which is one of the World's great flavours and I have yet to come across something that does not taste better after the addition of garlic.

Here is the recipe, easy as abc :) and with very few ingredients!

Ingredients-

  • Garlic cloves peeled- 1/2 cup
  • Green chillies- 2
  • Cayenne pepper(deggi mirch)- 1/2 tsp
  • Cumin- 1/2 tsp
  • Desi ghee(clarified butter)/refined oil- 2 tbsp
  • Salt to taste

Method-

Grind garlic and chillies without water.Heat oil/ghee add the cumin and fry till crisp not burnt, add the garlic and on a slow fire cook till garlic is light and crisp, add rest of the ingredients and turn off fire.Cool and store in the refrigerator, keeps for several weeks.

I did not use desi ghee, though I suspect that would have made it even more delicious, so you can, loved this chutney on kadhi, dal, curd, veggies....possibilities are endless

The fine flakes of garlic are crisp, and you can feel that in your mouth, the scale of hotness is on the higher side, the colour appetising, the aroma heavenly!, all in all highly recommended.

This chutney is off to the "Chutney Mania" event at Mane Adige.

Technorati Tags: ,

Print Friendly and PDF
Bookmark this post :
StumpleUpon Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google

12 comments :

FH January 22, 2009 at 11:57 PM  

Mmm.....!!! Sounds hot and spicy and love the way it looks. Fiery!! :))

Ramya's Mane Adige January 23, 2009 at 3:22 AM  

Naveen loves garlic!! So, I am always on the lookout for garlic recipes. thanx for this one. Also, I am hosting the "Chutney Mania" event @ Mane Adige this month. This chutney would make a wonderful entry, if you'd like to send it across!!!
check it out http://maneadige.blogspot.com/2009/01/inviting-entries-for-mania-event-here.html

Manju January 23, 2009 at 4:34 AM  

i have not doubts about this one delivering the necessaary punch ;)

Unknown January 23, 2009 at 8:08 AM  

I like spicy things,your garlic chutney looks really spicy..
would love to try this recipe..

Kalai January 23, 2009 at 8:41 AM  

Looks spicy and delicious, Bindiya! :)

Vibaas January 23, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

Wow! It looks so spicy and yum.

Anonymous ,  January 23, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

Excellent recipe. We in Haryana and Rajasthan have a variation for it. We also use sun dried Kachri (called chibber in Punjabi). All you have to do is soak 25 to 30 gms of kachri in water and then grind it with all the ingradients of your recipe and cook as you have stated. It also kickstarts tastebuds as you say. Thanks for all your recipes. I have tried many of them and all are excellent. Keep it up.

Priya Suresh January 23, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

Yummy, i love this sort of spicy chutney, looks really very spicy n delicious...

Finla January 23, 2009 at 1:28 PM  

WOwo this is one of the best chutneys i have seen for a while.

delhibelle January 24, 2009 at 10:10 AM  

I am with you on garlic, chutney looks yum!

Cynthia January 26, 2009 at 9:54 AM  

I have not visited your blog in ages!

Hope that you are well.

TBC February 1, 2009 at 7:33 AM  

Hey Bindiya!
How have you been? It's been a long time! Did u disappear for a bit? New year wishes to you and your family (it's never too late for good wishes). :D

I like garlic in anything and everything. This lasun masala, I know, is something I'd like. I like it with vada-pav.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP   

} catch(err) {}